Because living in several different places gives you perspectives you might have had otherwise for your writing arsenal to tell a good tale.
And yes, this is in reverse order, because I’m just that kind of guy.
- St. Joseph’s Cemetery, Waukasha, Wisconsin in the Scott Family mausoleum facing east in 2054. <–Where I’m heading.
- Apex, NC (Chatham County; big kitchen) <– Yeah, I’m here now.
- Morrisvile, NC (while building house). An apartment at which I was rarely there.
- Cary, NC (nice house; small kitchen). Found love. Got married. “Honey. You’re kitchen is too small. Build me a bigger house.” So I designed and developed the blue prints, did the engineering, and acted as General Contractor for the house. She was my Purchasing Agent. Together, with help from the family, much sweat equity bolstered the work by the craftpersons to build where we live.
- Raleigh, NC (temporary housing). Two different nice apartments.
- Lafayette, CO (first home). Loved my little house, which backed up to a wheat field. Had a hot air balloon make an emergency landing in the backyard. Could run for miles on dirt roads with my dog Bobbie.
- Boulder, CO (loved it). So much too do; so easy to get around; so expensive.
- Westminster, CO (twice). Once in the ghetto; once in a nice house (second home) down the street from Karl Mecklinburg, the snow goose, of the Denver Broncos.
- Denver, CO (loved the location). Tamarac Square was walkable to all, but too expensive for me.
- Aurora, CO (twice). Sister and friends gave me shelter from the unemployment storm. I cooked them stews and a turkey.
- Phoenix, AZ. After 435 job rejections upon graduation, I traveled on the road to the west to find employment. It only took a few days to realize that living in Hell heat wasn’t for me.
- Mansfield, PA (Mansfield University). Two dorms and two rooms, and two years over the dry cleaners. So much fun, but I wish I would have studied just a bit harder.
- Berlin, Germany. Four different rooms and two companies while applying the trade.
- Ft. Devens, MA. Proud member of F Troop (the real one) while learning a trade.
- Ft. Dix, NJ. Two different barracks. One of the first in all volunteer army. Hated the micro-managing boss of the truck driving job. Besides, needed the G.I. Bill to help pay for college.
- Ewing, NJ (Trenton State College). First aborted attempt to get a degree and run at the collegiate level. Left to drive a truck. Dorms looks good now, but when we moved in as the first tenants, oh the mud! You’d sink to your calves!
- Middlesex, NJ (grade & high school). Lots of kids to play stick ball, tackle during touch football in the street, fish or sled with at Victor Crowell Park, play board games to avoid the heat, build spook houses, sell lemonade, and with whom to walk to school.
- Bridgewater, NJ (infancy). In a tiny, carved-out apartment in Grandma’s house.
- Somerville, NJ (born). 1:17 a.m. in a light snowfall at Somerset Hospital. And should I ever run for President, I have a birth certificate to prove it.
Return to top of this page.
Return to the About page.